David Hanauer, Indiana University of Pennsylvania & Pittsburgh Bacteriophage Institute.
The aim of this brief paper is to report on research that utilized Gigapan imaging technology to explore the usage of literacy in the benchspace of a microbiology laboratory.
The paper addressed the following questions:
- What genres are used in the bench space of a microbiology laboratory?
- What are the functions of these genres within the microbiology laboratory? Results revealed a range of genres within the laboratory benchspace environment that fulfilled four functions:
- Presentation of Visual Data
- Presentation of Procedural Information
- Constructing and Announcing Personal and Social Identity
- Personalizing Science
These functions fulfilled the aims of conducting laboratory research and constructing personal,
social and professional connections.